Life insurance provides payment of a death benefit at the death of the insured(s). However, life insurance has many unique characteristics that may make it an appropriate solution for a variety of uses in addition to the death benefit protection. Some of these characteristics include:
- Policy cash values accumulate on a tax-deferred basis.
- Policy death benefits are received income tax-free.
- Policy cash values may be accessed on a tax advantaged basis. Please keep in mind loans and partial withdrawals may decrease the death benefit and cash value and may be subject to policy limitations and income tax.
Although often mistakenly viewed as a price only decision, the long term nature of life insurance necessitates careful consideration in the selection of the insurance carrier, the product type and the agent or agency to represent you and interact with your heirs. Some of the questions to consider in purchase include:
- Does the agent have a business succession plan that provides for continued service after the retirement or death of the original agent?
- Does the agent have sufficient experience to meet your needs adequately?
- Does the agent have any influence with the carrier selected?
- Is the insurance carrier financially sound?
- Does the carrier have a history of equitable treatment of existing policyholders?
- Will the service levels provided by the carrier satisfy your requirements?
- Will the product be able to adapt to changes in your personal and financial goals or situation?
- Are the pricing assumptions of the product economically sound?
- If a term purchase, what products are available if conversion occurs? Are these products comparable to the current marketplace?
The American Benefit Corporation team has over 30 years experience customizing life insurance solutions to meet the objectives of each corporate key person, COLI or BOLI situation.
Issues such as the ones above highlight the power of the M Financial Group. Member Firms are comprised of successful and experienced professionals in the business. The collective buying power of M allows Member Firms to utilize more favorable pricing experience than off-the-shelf products and to garner special service considerations. Reinsurance through M Financial Re allows Member Firms to have greater insight into the pricing fundamentals of various policies. These and other advantages through the M Financial Group make selection of a Member Firm as your representative a prudent choice. Please go to www.mfin.com/DisclosureStatement for further details regarding this relationship.